Kate's Education Website

A collection of education projects

Exploring Indigenous Language Resources

For assignment 3, I have chosen to explore the question “How can we integrate indigenous language into our classrooms in a meaningful and respectful way?”.

Growing up in the BC public education system, I was given very little insight into what types of Indigenous languages or groups lived in my area. I had never had the tragedy of residential schools fully explained to me till I came to UVic. Through this assignment, I wanted to do some further research into local and national Indigenous languages. Through this course, I have learned that an important part of moving forward is reflecting on our past knowledge and actions.

I have decided to explore Indigenous language teaching tools to help myself and fellow B.C teachers integrate languages in a respectful and meaningful way. Many Indigenous languages are on the break of extinction due to our nations past actions. I am going to be exploring 3 sub-area’s on my website. I will be looking at why we should be teaching Indigenous languages, the history of how these languages were lost and suppressed as well as creating a list of resources to help make this task easier for everyone in the classroom. I look forward to exploring this topic and expanding my knowledge on this area of social studies.